Decided to learn Russian? You have come to the right place. There are plenty of resources available online to guide you through out the journey of learning a difficult language like Russian. We have compiled the ones that can help any learner of Russian language when used wisely. Bookmark this page to be able to come back later whenever you need help finding something.
Learn Russian Through Paid Courses
There are only a few online programs that take a holistic approach to language learning taking into consideration all the factors that aid the process of language learning. We have given here our favorite two for learning Russian and you can see more by reading our other post reviewing all the popular learn Russian online courses.
Rocket Russian stands top of our list of courses for learning the Russian language because of the innovative blend of technology and gamification throughout the course that makes language learning incredibly fun and thoroughly enjoyable.
- Read our review of all Russian courses available online
Learn Russian Through Books
If you are a kind of person that learns best by following physical books, we recommend going through the books listed below.
- The New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners (Penguin Handbooks)
- Russian For Dummies
- The Everything Learning Russian Book with CD: Speak, write, and understand Russian in no time!
- Russian Stories: A Dual-Language Book (English and Russian Edition)
- Beginner's Russian with Interactive Online Workbook
Audio Books and DVDs
- Living Language Russian, Complete Edition: Beginner through advanced course, including 3 coursebooks, 9 audio CDs, and free online learning
- Pimsleur Russian Conversational Course - Level 1 Lessons 1-16 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand Russian with Pimsleur Language Programs
- Total Russian Foundation Course: Learn Russian with the Michel Thomas Method
- Perfect Russian Intermediate Course: Learn Russian with the Michel Thomas Method
Learn Russian Through Tutors and One-on-One Personal Coach
Like to take your learning to next level? Try interacting with native Russian speakers available for hire on an hourly basis.
- iTalki - Russian Teachers
- Verbling - Find Russian Tutors
- Take Lessons - Russian Tutors
- Live Lingua - Russian Skype Lessons
Learn Russian Through Audio Podcasts
Listening to language podcasts is a great way to spend your jogging time or time at the gym. The following podcasts are worth looking into.
- Ochenporusski | Russian slang, idioms, common expressions
- Learn Russian Step by Step - blog
- Compilation of Russian Podcast by russianpodcast.eu
- Russian podcasts from BBC
Learn Russian Through Youtube Videos
A lot of native speakers take to youtube to help learners of Russian. They upload new videos regularly based on user needs and feedback. You can check the following channels for some interesting content.
- Learn Russian with Russian Pod 101
- FunRussian.com Russian Lessons
- RussianLessons.net Videos
- Russian Lessons with Maria Zdorovetskaya
- Learn Russian with Denis Fedorov
- Weekly Russian with Natalia
- R for Russian - Youtube Channel
- Real Russian Club
Learn Russian Through Mobile Applications (Mobile Apps)
Learning Russian during office breaks and your daily commute has now become easier thanks to all the great mobile applications. Following are some of the most popular apps that you will enjoy learning Russian with.
Learn Russian Through MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses)
These sites provide some good free course content for Russian language learners. We recommend you use these just for reference purpose and take a paid course if you want to see some serious improvement in your skill.
- Open EDU - STEM courses from leading Russian universities taught in Russia
- University of Cambridge - Language Centre- Russian Essentials Courseware
- Coursera: Understanding Russians - contexts of intercultural communication
- Learn about Russian regions and their different traditions
- Udemy: Russian music and literature
Learn Russian by Reading Your Favorite Magazines in Russian
Most of the popular magazines and news networks publish a Russian edition. Try to read the Russian ones instead of English with the help of web page translators and you can be well on your way to fluency.
News in Russian
Radio in Russian
- Russian radio stations streaming live on the internet
- Russian radio stations in and outside Russia
- List of Russian language radio stations
- Russian radio stations - Genre wise
Learn Russian by Watching Movies, Documentaries, TV Shows, Serials in Russian
You can find some good Russain documentaries on the following sites.
- Documentaries and movies with Russian Audio
- Best Russian language movies on Netflix
- 8 Awesome Movies for Russian Learners on Netflix
Learn Russian by Participating in Russian Social Media and Forums
There are thousands of people who are actively pursuing the process of speaking a new language and there are places where they hang out to help each other. Listed below are some of the places where you can find them.
- Reddit - /r/Russian
- Word Reference Russian Forum
- Memrise Russian Forum
- Russian Lessons - Forum
- Russia - USA Forum
- Master Russian - Forum
Learn Russian by Following Russian Language Blogs
Blogs provide a wealth of new information on a daily basis and hence are a great resource for language learners. The following are some of the blogs that stood out from the rest thanks to their focus on easy to follow writing style.
- Transparent - Russian Blog
- Russian Pod 101 - Blog
- FluentU - Russian Blog
- Explore Russian - Blog
- Proper Russian - Blog
- Russian podcast - Blog
- Learn Russian Web - Blog
Learn Russian Through Downloading Flashcards, Worksheets, and Printables
Flashcards are great visual aids that can help beginner of any new language retain the words learned and recollect them anytime they need'em in a conversation. The following resources have ready made flashcards and worksheets you can make use of.
- Anki Web Decks
- Flashcards by Study Stack
- Beginner's Russian flashcards by Quizlet
- Flashcard Machine - Russian Flashcards
- Russian Flashcards collection by 101languages.net
Learn Russian Through Russian To English Dictionary and Word of the Day
How about learning one Russian word a day or looking up for the meaning of a Russian word only when you need it and setting yourself up for mastery one word at a time? Dictionaries can help you do exactly this.
Linguee has an impressively accurate translation ability and sentence usage examples.
Reverso offers you a complete user generated and populated Russian English dictionary containing commonly used words and expressions including Slang words along with thousands of Russian entries and their English translation.
Learn Russian by Reading Your Favorite Comics in Russian
One comic strip = one Russian lesson! We recommend you these comic strips for beginners and intermediates of the Russian language.
Learn Russian Through Proverbs and Romantic Phrases, Russian Social Media
- Reddit - /r/Russia
- VK (VKontakte) - Facebook alternative in Russia
- OK - Social media popular among older women
- Moi Mir - Google Plus alternative
- Rutube - Russian Youtube
Russian Romantic Phrases
- Words of love in Russian | Russian for free
- 15 Russian love phrases for Valentine's Day and beyond
- Russian love phrase | Claritaslux
- 10 Must-Know Russian Phrases for Dating a Russian
- Wikiquotes - Compilation of Russian proverbs
- Russian Proverbs and Sayings - Master Russian
- 88 Famous Russian Proverbs by Elena Models
- Some Russian Proverbs Compiled by Multilingual books
Translate Any Website in Russian to English and Vice Versa Using These Browser Extensions
These are some must have browser extensions for any language learner. These will come handy when you end up on a website written in a lanugage that you don't understand.
BONUS: Learn Russian by Translating Your Favorite Movie Dialogues in Russian
Do you know of any other resources to learn Russian? Let us know in the comments. Wish you a happy learning!