Have a desire to learn Portuguese? There are plenty of resources available online to guide you throughout the journey of learning a difficult yet beautiful language like Portuguese. We have compiled the best ones for you. Bookmark this page to be able to come back later whenever you need help finding something.
Learn Portuguese Through Paid Courses
Following a structured curriculum laid out by linguistic experts is always the best way to learn any language and Portuguese is no exception. If you are ready to join a program, we would recommend you begin with Rocket Portuguese.
Rocket Portuguese stands top of our list of courses for learning the Portuguese language because of the innovative blend of technology and gamification throughout the course that makes language learning incredibly fun and thoroughly enjoyable.
- Read our review of all Portuguese courses available online
Learn Portuguese Through Books
If you are a kind of person that learns best by following physical books, we recommend going through the books listed below.
- Portuguese: Learn Portuguese In 21 DAYS! – A Practical Guide To Make Portuguese Look Easy! EVEN For Beginners
- Living Language Brazilian Portuguese, Complete Edition: Beginner through advanced course, including 3 coursebooks, 9 audio CDs, and free online learning
- The Everything Learning Brazilian Portuguese Book: Speak, Write, and Understand Basic Portuguese in No Time
- Lonely Planet Portuguese Phrasebook & Dictionary
- Portuguese For Dummies
Audio Books and DVDs
- Pimsleur Portuguese (Brazilian) Conversational Course - Level 1 Lessons 1-16 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand Brazilian Portuguese with Pimsleur Language Programs (English and Portuguese Edition)
- Michel Thomas Method™ Speak Portuguese for Beginners, 8-CD Program (Michel Thomas Series)
- Total Portuguese Foundation Course: Learn Portuguese with the Michel Thomas Method
- In-Flight Portuguese: Learn Before You Land
Learn Portuguese Through Tutors and One-on-One Personal Coach
Like to take your learning to next level? Try interacting with native Portuguese speakers available for hire on an hourly basis by browsing through the following web places.
- iTalki - Portuguese Teachers
- Verbling - Find Portuguese Tutors
- Take Lessons - Portuguese Tutors
- Live Lingua - Portuguese Skype Lessons
Learn Portuguese Through Audio Podcasts
Listening to language podcasts is a great way to make your jogging time or time at the gym worthwhile. The following podcasts are worth looking into.
- Brazilian Pod Class
- Practice Portuguese - Free Podcasts
- LingQ - Portuguese Podcasts
- Portuguese Lab - Podcast
Learn Portuguese Through Youtube Videos
The following Youtubers have plenty of useful Portuguese videos targeting beginners. Check them out.
- Learn Portuguese with Portuguese Pod 1o1
- Portuguese Lab
- Portuguese with Carla
- Practice Portuguese
- Learn O Learn
Learn Portuguese Through Mobile Applications (Mobile Apps)
Learning Portuguese during office breaks and your daily commute has now become easier thanks to all the great mobile applications. Following are some of the most popular apps that you will enjoy learning Portuguese with.
Learn Portuguese Through MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses)
Learn Portuguese by Reading Your Favorite Magazines in Portuguese
Many international news channels, magazines, and radio stations publish a Portuguese version targeting Portugal and Brazilian readers. You can leverage them to improve your language reading and listening abilities.
News in Portuguese
Radio in Portuguese
Learn Portuguese by Watching Movies, Documentaries, TV Shows, Serials in Portuguese
You can find some good Portuguese documentaries on the following sites.
- Lingua - Vidas em Portugues - a documentary on the Portuguese language.
- List of short Brazilian documentaries
- Documentaries in the Portuguese Language
- Wikipedia | List of 20 Portuguese Documentary Films
Learn Portuguese by Participating in Portuguese Social Media and Forums
There are thousands of people who are actively pursuing the process of speaking a new language and there are places where they hang out to help each other. Listed below are some of the places where you can find them.
Learn Portuguese by Following Portuguese Language Blogs
Portuguese bloggers publish unique and interesting content to help language learners and if you are a beginner or an intermediate, we recommend you start with the following blogs.
- Transparent - Portuguese Blog
- Street Smart Brazil - Blog
- Really Learn Portuguese - Blog
- Hacking Portuguese - Blog
- Fun with Brazilian Portuguese - Blog
- Semantica-Portuguese Blog
Learn Portuguese Through Downloading Flashcards, Worksheets, and Printables
Flashcards are great visual aids that can help beginner of any new language retain the words learned and recollect them anytime they need'em in a conversation. The following resources have ready-made flashcards and worksheets you can make use of.
- Anki Web Decks
- Flashcards by Study Stack
- Portuguese verbs flashcards by Quizlet
- Flashcard Machine - Portuguese Flashcards
- Portuguese Flashcards collection by 101languages.net
Learn Portuguese Through Portuguese To English Dictionary and Word of the Day
How about learning one Portuguese word a day or looking up for the meaning of a Portuguese word only when you need it and setting yourself up for mastery one word at a time? Dictionaries can help you do exactly this.
- LexiLogos - Portuguese Dictionaries Aggregator
- Collins - English to Portuguese Dictionary
- Cambridge - English to Portuguese Dictionary
Linguee has an impressively accurate translation ability and sentence usage examples.
Reverso offers you a complete user-generated and populated Russian English dictionary containing commonly used words and expressions including Slang words along with thousands of Russian entries and their English translation.
Learn Portuguese by Reading Your Favorite Comics in Portuguese
One comic strip = one Portuguese lesson! We recommend you these comic strips for beginners and intermediates of the Portuguese language.
- List of Portuguese Comics | Comic Book Plus
- Mulher de 30 - Tirinhas
- Turma Da Monica
- Deposito-de-Tirinhas - Tumblr
- Um Sàbado Qualquer - Funny religious Tirinhas mocking God and Satan
- Will Tirando
- Amazon: Portuguese - Comics & Graphic Novels: Books
Learn Portuguese Through Proverbs and Romantic Phrases, Portuguese Social Media
Portuguese Romantic Phrases
- Portuguese love for dummies
- 5 beautiful Portuguese words with no equivalent English translation
- Portuguese romance and pickup lines
- 16 beautiful Portuguese words and phrases we need in English
- Wikiquotes - Compilation of Portuguese proverbs
- A list of 100 Portuguese Proverbs
- Some Brazilian Proverbs by Living Languages
- The 20 funniest Portuguese expressions (and how to use them)
- Quora Answers for "Can-you-share-some-proverbs-or-sayings-in-Brazilian-Portuguese-that-are-frequently-used-in-conversation?"
Translate Any Website in Portuguese to English and Vice Versa Using These Browser Extensions
These are some must have browser extensions for any language learner. When you end up on a website written in a language that you don't understand, these extensions will do the translation work for you.
BONUS: Learn Portuguese by Translating Your Favorite Movie Dialogues in Portuguese
Have we missed out any resource you use to learn Portuguese? Let us know in the comments. Wish you a happy learning!