Congrats on your decision to learn Japanese! As a beginner, you may be overwhelmed with the amount of information available online and don't know where to actually start. To help people like you, we have compiled and categorized all the useful resources to aid you in your preparation. Have a look at them and don't forget to bookmark the page to be able to come back later whenever you need help finding something.
Learn Japanese Through Paid Courses
Japanese is hard and you probably know that right now. So, the best approach to learning it is to follow a structured program laid out by language experts and fully committing yourself to the curriculum. In that sense, we have listed our top picks below for you to enrol in and get benefitted.
- Rocket Japanese
- Living Language Japanese Course
- Pimsleur Japanese Audio Course
- Michael Thomas Audio Lessons
Learn Japanese Through Books
If you are a kind of person that learns best by following physical books or audio podcasts, we recommend going through the ones listed below.
- Living Language Japanese, Complete Edition: Beginner through advanced course, including 3 coursebooks, 9 audio CDs, Japanese reading & writing guide, and free online learning
- GENKI I: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese
- Japanese Hiragana & Katakana for Beginners: First Steps to Mastering the Japanese Writing System
- Japanese from Zero! 1: Proven Techniques to Learn Japanese for Students and Professionals (Volume 1)
- Japanese For Dummies
- Speak Japanese in 90 Days: A Self Study Guide to Becoming Fluent (Volume 1)
Audio Books and DVDs
- Pimsleur Japanese Level 1 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand Japanese with Pimsleur Language Programs (Comprehensive)
- Drive Time Japanese: Beginner Level
- Total Japanese Foundation Course: Learn Japanese with the Michel Thomas Method
- Japanese Easy Learning Audio Course: Learn to speak Japanese the easy way with Collins
Learn Japanese Through Tutors and One-on-One Personal Coach
Like to take your learning to next level? Try interacting with native Japanese speakers available for hire on an hourly basis in the following platforms.
- iTalki Japanese Tutors
- Verbling Japanese Teachers
- Verbal Planet
- Tutors on Take Lessons
- Kakehashi Japan Tutor Search
Learn Japanese Through Audio Podcasts
Listening to Japanese podcasts regularly is a great way to retain the things you have learned. The following podcasts are worth looking into.
- Learn Japanese Pod
- NHK World Radio Japan - Easy Japanese
- LingQ - Japanese Podcasts
Learn Japanese Through Youtube Videos
A lot of native speakers take to youtube to help learners of Japanese. They upload new videos regularly based on user needs and feedback. You can check out the following channels for some interesting content.
- Learn Japanese with Japanese Pod 101
- Learn Japanese from Zero!
- Learn Japanese from Japan Society NYC
- Hello Japanese
Learn Japanese Through Mobile Applications (Mobile Apps)
Learning Japanese during office breaks and your daily commute has now become easier thanks to all the great mobile applications. Following are some of the most popular apps that you will enjoy learning Japanese with.
Learn Japanese Through MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses)
These sites provide some good free course materials for Japanese language learners.
Learn Japanese by Reading Your Favorite Magazines in Japanese
Most of the popular magazines and news networks publish a Japanese edition. Try to read the Japanese ones instead of English with the help of online translators and you can be well on your way to attaining some level of fluency.
News in Japanese
Radio in Japanese
Learn Japanese by Participating in Japanese Social Media and Forums
Listed below are some of the places where you can find people who are Japanese language learners just like you.
- Reddit - /r/Japanese
- Memrise Community - Japanese
- Japan Reference - Forum
- Linguaholic - Forum
- Unilang Japanese Language Community
Learn Japanese by Following Japanese Language Blogs
Blogs provide a wealth of new information on a regular basis and hence are a wonderful resource for language learners. The following are some of the blogs that contain some seriously valuable information.
- Transparent - Blog
- Tofugu - Blog
- Japanese Pod 101 - Blog
- Gaijin Pot - Blog
- Guide to Japanese - Blog
- Nihongo Manabu - Learn Japanese Blog
Learn Japanese Through Downloading Flashcards, Worksheets, and Printables
Flashcards are great visual aids that can help beginner of any new language retain the words learned and recollect them anytime they need'em in a conversation. The following resources have ready made flashcards and worksheets you can make use of.
- Anki Web Decks
- Study Stack - Japanese Flashcards
- Brainscape - Japanese Flashdecks
- Flashcards compiled by Hills Learning
- Japanese Vocabulary Romanji Flashcards by Quizlet
Learn Japanese Through Japanese To English Dictionary and Word of the Day
How about learning one Japanese word a day or looking up for the meaning of a Japanese word only when you need it and setting yourself up for mastery one word at a time? Dictionaries can help you do exactly this.
Jisho is a powerful Japanese-English dictionary. It lets you find words, kanji, example sentences and more quickly and easily.
Tangorin is a free online English ⇆ Japanese dictionary with a fast, responsive interface that helps you search through over million entries.
Linguee has an impressively accurate English to Japanese translation ability and provides sentence usage examples as well.
Learn Japanese by Reading Your Favorite Comics in Japanese
Japanese comic books are called manga, and they feature some impressively cool artwork and engaging storytelling that captivates young and mature readers alike. Try reading these 5 awesome manga series today!
- Easy to read manga for Japanese beginners – Vol. 01
- Easy to read manga for Japanese beginners Vol 02
- Easy to read manga for Japanese beginners – Vol. 03
- Easy to read manga Vol.04 – A mixed bag
- Easy to read manga for Japanese beginners Vol. 05
Learn Japanese Through Proverbs and Romantic Phrases, French Social Media
- Reddit - Japan
- LINE: Popular social network in Japan
- : Japanese blogging and social networking website
- : Japanese online community for artists
- : Portal and social network for games
- : App browser specifically used to read
- : Social network that is very popular among Japanese teens
Japanese Romantic Phrases
- Japanese Phrases: 30 Love Phrases for Valentine’s Day & More
- 42 Steamy, Romantic Japanese Phrases to Get Your Love Game On
- 'I Love You' and other Japanese Love Phrases
- Wiki Quotes - Japanese Proverbs Collection
- Linguanaut - Japanese Proverbs and Wisdom Words Collection
- Learn Japanese through Proverbs and Sayings - LinguaJunkie
- Japanese proverbs compilation by nvg.org
Translate Any Website in Japanese to English and Vice Versa Using These Browser Extensions
These extensions can translate any web page you visit in any language to any other language allowing you to read the web in the language of your choice.
BONUS: Learn Japanese by Translating Your Favorite Movie Dialogues in Japanese
Help us build the list by recommending other useful resources on the comments. Wish you a happy learning!